Follow these instructions to generate a Private Key and CSR.
- To access the Control Panel certificates repository, click the Certificates icon at the Server administration page. The certificates repository page will open displaying the list of available certificates.
- To add a certificate to the repository, click the Add Certificate icon at the Control panel certificate repository page. The SSL certificate creation page will open. On this page you can generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
- On the CSR form specify the certificate name. This can be any name that will help you remember what this certificate for when you see it in the repository. We recommend using the domain for the site you're securing, such as 'mysite.com'.
- You will be asked for several pieces of info which will be used by GeoTrust to create your new SSL certificate. These fields include the Common Name (aka domain, FQDN), organization, country, key bit length, etc. Use the CSR Legend in the right-hand column of this page to guide you when asked for this information. The following characters should not be used when typing in your CSR input: < > ~ ! @ # $ % ^ / \ ( ) ? , &
- The Bits selection allows you to choose the level of encryption for the key exchange, 2048 is recommended.
- Select a country from the drop-down list.
- Specify the state or province, location (city). Do not abbreviate these.
- Enter the appropriate organization name (This should be the legal name of your business or organization).
- Enter the appropriate department/division in the field provided (e.g., Internet Sales, or Marketing).
- Enter the Domain Name (Common Name) for which you wish to generate the certificate signing request (See CSR Legend in side bar of this page).
- Click the Request button. A certificate signing request will be generated and added to the repository.
- In the Certificates section of the certificates repository click the certificate name you created step 3 above. You should see the CSR.
- Save a copy of your CSR. The CSR will be needed during the online order process. You'll be asked to copy-and-paste your CSR into a special CSR box.
Below is an example of what your CSR will look like. This is a example only and cannot be used to generate your SSL certificate.
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
These instructions are derived from the Plesk 7 documentation
Please contact our support team if you have any additional problems or questions.